Battle of the Liquid Eyeliners

20:57 Unknown 0 Comments


First of all happy new year! Hope 2016 is good to ya all.
 
I've wanted to write this post for a long time as I get through sooo many eyeliners and thought it would be interesting to review a few I tried in 2015. I've worn winged eyeliner every single day since I was about 15 (it all began with an emo phase circa 2007). If I could only use one makeup product it would 100%, without doubt be my liquid eyeliner. Hell, I would take it as my sole possession to a desert island. My eyeliner skills are my pride and joy - I'm not a makeup artist, but this is my one and only skill in life, plz let me have this. With enough practice you can achieve amazing winged eyeliner in seconds. I honestly believe it's just a case of finding the right brush, and the right type of liquid, OH and a bit of practice.

The eyeliners I'll be reviewing vary in price. I'll discuss each in the photo from left to right.

Eyeko Fat Liquid Eyeliner - £12.00
This Eyeko eyeliner definiely has the fattest brush I've ever seen! This eyeliner came as part of my October Birchbox and I've increasingly seen the brand in magazines lately. I was surprised at how easy this glides on to your eye. Although the tip is fairly big, it is still possible to draw a thin-ish line. The difficulty however comes when trying to create a flick. It is possible but it takes a bit of practicing due to the size. I think this would be perfect if you wear a thicker line, or maybe if you don't tend to flick it out at the end this would work.

Benefit They're Real Push-Up Liner - £18.50
I had such high hopes for this because I adore pretty much every other Benefit product out there. Sadly, I cannot get on with this liner! The key characteristics of this are the gel formula and the AccuFlex tip which "hugs" your lash line. I still haven't managed to successfully apply this to my eyes... The consistency is quite thick and you can't help but drag the skin on your eyelid. This results in a wobbly line. One positive is that it is durable - each time I've attempted to use this it's been reaaaally hard to wipe off! So if you can get the hang of it, at least you know it won't smudge! I have tested it on my hand and it does look very slick, however I can't seem to achieve this on my eye. Let me know if you have any tips!?

Maybelline Master Precise - £5.99
This eyeliner shocked me because it was SO easy to use, straight away. This is another felt tip style brush but this is much thinner than the Eyeko brush, so you have far more control. Also, creating the winged look is less of a struggle than with the fatter Eyeko felt tip liner. The liquid is very dark, which means you don't have to keep redrawing over the line to add colour. It's also very easy to remove, so if you make a mistake you won't end up with a big smudge! This is the perfect eyeliner if you're looking for a felt tip style liner that does't require too much practicing.

Mac Superslick Liquid Eyeliner - £18.00
Obviously you can always rely on Mac for a great product. Although the pot is only small, this eyeliner lasted me quite a long time. What's fab about the Mac liner is that when they say superslick, they really mean SUPER FRICKIN' SLICK. Like this looked glossy even when it was dry which was AMAZINGGG. There is unfortunately a BUT - if you draw a thick-ish line with this eyeliner, after a few hours it has a tendency to rub off on to the top of your eye lid. Sometimes it left a vertical line from the bottom to the top of the lid which meant I received some jugdemental looks in the office! This is still amazing, so if you do want to pay a bit extra for this, just make sure you don't draw the line too thick!

Rimmel ScandalEyes - £5.49
Rimmel offer this in a thin and thick liner, I opted for the thin precision micro eyeliner. I hadn't used a felt tip liner prior to this, but I gave it a go. The tip is ultra thin making it relatively easy to apply. However, despite claiming that it "dries quickly" and provides "24 hour resistance against sweat, water and smudging" THIS WAS ALL A LIE! Before I'd even finished my makeup, I was retouching the line, and after a few hours the line had rubbed off on to the top of my eyelid and smudged everywhere - which wasn't at all embarrassing..... Basically this is no bueno.

Rimmel Glam Eyes - £5.29
This is by a mile THE BEST eyeliner out of all six of these  OH AND THE CHEAPEST. (We'll forgive Rimmel for the above eyeliner). Obviously everyone has their own preferences, but for me Glam Eyes ticks all of the boxes. It makes winged eyeliner incredibly EASY to accomplish. The brush is very thin - this is SO important for your control when applying the product. A lot of people think a thinner brush is more difficult to use, but you can draw little strokes and build the line up. The consistency of the liquid is FAB and it glides so easily on to your eye.  My biggest problem with eyeliners is when they are too thick or dry and they drag your eyelid meaning you're more likely to make a mistake or end up with a jagged line. The Glam Eyes liner is honestly an absolute dream to apply because of the brush and the consistency of the liquid. This eyeliner has SERIOUSLY been my war paint, it's the power behind my sassiness. Without it, I am nothing. I think this proves you definitely don't need to spend tonnes of money for a eyeliner, when you can get this one for a fiver at Boots. Wonderful. 

Let me know if you have any other eyeliners I should try! 

                                                                               

0 comments: